Elderly Brisbane man wins battle to save Coorparoo home from Queensland government’s compulsory acquisition amid Gabba redevelopment

An elderly Brisbane man who was told he had until Christmas to leave his home, has had a reprieve with the state government halting its plan to evict him and demolish his home.

Trevor Connolly, 93, had been living in his Coorparoo home for 60 years, with no plan of ever leaving, when he received a compulsory acquisition letter from the government in mid-October.

However, after public outcry at the plight of Connolly, the state government has decided not to forcibly evict him — and allow him to live out the rest of his life in his home.

Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

“When we found out this morning, it was just such a huge relief,” Connolly’s daughter, Anne Connolly, told 7NEWS.

Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed the news on Friday saying “we don’t want to cause this gentleman any anxiety”.

“The department of education and premiers (department) will find a solution … But there will be no forced eviction,” she said.

Connolly, a widower living with dementia, had been told the state government would be acquiring his land to make way for a drop-off zone for the new East Brisbane State School, after it was forced to relocate to make way for an Olympic stadium.

Trevor Connolly has lived at his Coorparoo home for 60 years and had been given till Christmas to move out. Credit: 7NEWS
After public outcry at the plight of Trevor Connolly, the state government has decided not to forcibly evict him. Credit: 7NEWS

“Talk about being on cloud seven. I was more or less on cloud seventy. The relief,” Connolly said.

Connolly raised his children in the home, which is the last residential lot remaining on a street full of businesses — and the only property that received a resumption notice.

“He can now relax … knowing he can spend out his time in the only home he’s ever known,” Anne Connolly said.

If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .

To find out more about how we use cookies, please see our Cookie Guide.

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! News Continue is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment