Memorial to honour victims of Hunter Valley bus tragedy

The victims of one of Australia’s worst road crashes will be honoured at a public memorial held in the country town home to many whose lives were lost.

Ten wedding guests were killed and another 25 were injured when their coach rolled near Greta in the Hunter Valley late on June 11.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Zach Bray’s dad Adam Bray on the memorial honouring victims of Hunter tragedy.

Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

The crash, on the bend of a highway on-ramp, occurred late at night as guests were being driven home from the wedding reception.

It was the worst road disaster in Australia for nearly 30 years.

The memorial service will be held by the state government in partnership with Cessnock and Singleton councils.

Survivors, first responders and family and friends of those involved in the fatal bus crash will come together at the Singleton Showground from 11am.

The crash in which 10 people were killed was the worst in Australia for nearly 30 years. (Rhett Wyman/AAP PHOTOS) Credit: AAP

Adam Bray, the father of Zachary Bray who was tragically killed in the crash, says the memorial is a sincere thing from the government to remember 10 young lives that have been snuffed out way too early”.

“The general public…the first responders, there is a lot of people to recognise and thank today who have made an amazing contribution to a massacre that unfortunately 10 beautiful Australians have been caught up in,” he told Sunrise.

Bray added he is “trying to channel (his) anger into positive action”.

“The anger comes in the following day before funerals have been conducted,” he said.

“Where global experts in road traffic safety explain that simple technologies, a more focused government, better protocols, better safety protocols for the bus and coach industry and that this is totally avoidable.

“That evokes a huge amount of anger.”

Adam Bray, the father of Zachary Bray who was tragically killed in the crash. Credit: Sunrise

Meanwhile, Premier Chris Minns said the memorial would be an opportunity for people to come together to grieve, support one another and pay tribute to those affected by the “unimaginable” tragedy.

“It also provides an opportunity to recognise the courage and resilience of the frontline emergency service workers who attended the scene and treated patients in our hospitals,” he said previously.

A ticket is not required and the event will be live-streamed on the NSW government website.

Following the service, the showground will host a free communal barbecue in partnership with local charitable organisations.

The Hunter Valley Bus Tragedy Fund, administered by Rotary, closed last month after raising close to $1.5 million.

The NSW government donated $100,000 and the funds raised are expected to assist those affected by the crash.

Bus driver Brett Andrew Button, 59, faces 62 charges over the crash and remains before the courts.

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! News Continue is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment